Back to overview
Bioeconomy and value chains in Brazil – Strengthening privat sector engagement, cooperative management, vocational training and access to financing
Brazil: Bioeconomy and value chains in Brazil
The project ""Bioeconomy and Value Chains"" is a BMZ-financed technical cooperation project with the Secretariat of Family Farming and Cooperativism (Secretaria de Agricultura Familiar e Cooperativismo, SAF) of the Brazilian Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food Supply (Ministério da Agricultura, Pecuária e Abastecimento, MAPA). Its stated objective is: Cooperatives and associations of local communities have expanded the commercialization of their products in value chains that are a priority for the development of the sustainable and inclusive bioeconomy in the Amazon.The protection of the rainforest can only succeed in the long term if its economic benefit for the local population is also increased.
Engagement of the private sector
The project intends to strengthen the role of the private sector in the sustainable use of natural resources in the Amazon.
- Develop and implement mechanisms and formats to strengthen private sector engagement in priority value chains of the sustainable and inclusive bioeconomy that focus on the inclusion of smallholders"" cooperatives and associations.
- Support the establishment and continuation of sectorial dialogues, involving ministries and agencies and focusing on the promotion of strategies and measures to improve sustainability and inclusion in priority value chains (e.g., on sustainability standards, supply chain traceability, gender considerations)
- Strengthen the capacity of traditional people and communities, and support them to participate in sectorial dialogue process and vindicate the consideration of their rights and demands
Strengthening entrepreneurial and management capacities in cooperatives and associations
The aim is to enhance the capacity of cooperatives and associations to do business.
- Training and on-the-job coaching to improve management and expand the use of digital tools in production, management, logistics and marketing for four ""anchor cooperatives"" with great potential to integrate further local producers into relevant bioeconomy value chains,
- Promote the knowledge exchange between cooperatives on entrepreneurial activity, enable qualified participation in trade fairs (this does not include the organization of trips nor contributions to travel expenses).
- Translate relevant documents or media produced or used by the project into an appropriate language to be understood by traditional people and communities
- Organize and implement activities to increase the access of traditional people and communities to public procurement programs
Professional education for marketing and administration of cooperatives and associations in the bioeconomy of the Amazon
This workpackage has the objective of including content on administration and management of cooperative enterprises in the Amazon into professional education offers.
- Identify topics, target audiences, and strategic partners for professional education in priority value chains of the bioeconomy.
2021 - 2024