Back to overview
Biodiversity and Adaptation to Climate Change in Mongolia Phase II/III
The objective of the BACCP is to contribute to the effective and sustainable management of prioritized areas of the Mongolian Protected Area (PA) System (including buffer zones and eco corridors) by MET, PA administrations, local administrations, and communities while at the same time promoting sustainable, alternative livelihoods among local communities.
The Mongolian Ministry for Environment and Tourism (MET) is the Project Executing Agency. ECO supports the MEGD in project implementation and management including the development of the Governance structure of the programme, technical implementation, preparation of ToRs, plans and tender documents, support to the evaluation of offers, supervision of contracts (works and services), support to financial management of the Project (including management of a disposition fund), and reporting.
Component 1: Management planning and delivery of basic equipment for the entire PA network
- participatory development/updating of management plans for PAs, buffer zones (BZ) and clusters.
- procurement of basic equipment for PA administrations and BZ councils.
- development of an M&E system.
Component 2: Implementation of management and business plans in the five clusters
- development/ rehabilitation/ upgrading of key PA infrastructure and procurement of related equipment;
- promotion of sustainable land-use in restricted use zones and buffer zones;
- funding of social infrastructure in the BZs,
- promotion of a buffer zone fund to provide buffer zone communities with access to alternative livelihoods
Component 3: Implementation of management and business plans in up to 7 individual PAs selected on the basis of pre-defined criteria
- implement prioritised activities/ investments as per agreed management plans
- facilitate the financing/ cofinancing and implementation of measures for conservation and sustainable management of selected projects for PAs and buffer zones
Component 4: Capacity development and public awareness measures for the entire PA network
- Support the PA department in developing/updating and implementing a comprehensive concept for training in conservation and PA management, and recognized professional training of rangers
- Support policy and cooperation meetings organized by the MET in close cooperation with other stakeholders; organize meetings of thematic working groups.
2020 - 2027